Constructed by the legendary showman Sid Grauman in 1922 and known for its distinctive appearance, the Egyptian Theatre has long been one of the most celebrated cinemas in Hollywood. Following renovations in the 1990s, the landmark has been restored to its full, Egyptian Revival splendor. Today, the cinema is known for screening indie movies, and also hosts festivals, premieres, and other events.
The Egyptian Theatre is a featured stop on movie-themed and behind-the-scenes Hollywood excursions. It’s also easy to spot during an independent tour of the neighborhood, and you can attend daily movie screenings, too.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Egyptian Theatre hosts two screening areas: the main Lloyd E. Rigler Theatre, which has 616 seats, and the intimate Steven Spielberg Theatre, which has 78.
- The Egyptian Theatre is ADA accessible, and elevators serve the upper balcony areas.
- Pets are prohibited at the theater, though service dogs are welcome.
- Public tours of the theater are hosted one Saturday per month at 10:30am; if you wish to attend, research dates in advance of your visit.
How to Get There
The Egyptian Theatre is located on Hollywood Boulevard. If using public transit, take the Metro Red Line to Hollywood/Highland Station, which is a short walk away; multiple bus lines also serve the area, including the Hollywood DASH, 212, 217, and 222. If you plan to drive, the theater is located near several paid lots, though does not validate parking.
When to Get There
Hours for the theater vary, depending on its screening schedule, and it’s advised to research showtimes in advance. The on-site box office opens 90 minutes prior to the first screening, and closes 30 minutes after the last screening begins.
Events at the Egyptian Theatre The Egyptian Theatre famously hosted Hollywood’s first-ever movie premiere—Robin Hood in 1922, starring Douglas Fairbanks—and it’s still used for premieres today. Beyond its regular schedule of screenings, additional events include film festivals, annual showcases, screenings of classic movies, and more. Research its calendar before you travel, and book advance tickets to special events.
- Bezienswaardigheden in Californië
- Bezienswaardigheden in Santa Monica
- Bezienswaardigheden in Long Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Anaheim en Buena Park
- Bezienswaardigheden in Santa Barbara
- Bezienswaardigheden in La Jolla
- Bezienswaardigheden in Palm Springs
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Diego
- Bezienswaardigheden in Pismo Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Luis Obispo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Paso Robles
- Bezienswaardigheden in Las Vegas
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sausalito
- Bezienswaardigheden in Nevada
- Bezienswaardigheden in Arizona
- Hollywood wassenbeeldenmuseum Los Angeles
- Hollywood Museum
- Ripley's Geloof het of niet! Hollywood
- Hollywood Guinness World Records Museum
- Hollywood en Highland
- El Capitan Theater
- Dolby Theater
- Hard Rock Café Hollywood
- TCL Chinees theater
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood
- Het magische kasteel
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Capitol Records Building
- Hollywood Pantages Theatre