Hop-on hop-off tour buses stop at this museum, which is one of Quebec City’s most popular attractions. In addition to the two permanent exhibits focusing on Quebec’s social history, the museum also has a family-friendly exhibit that puts visitors' senses to the challenge with illusions, mazes, and interactive displays. The Musée de la Civilization also hosts a series of world-class temporary exhibits, some of which come at an additional cost, as well as scheduled guided tours covering select exhibitions, many of which are free with admission.
Things to know before you go
- Musée de la Civilization is a must for visitors who want to better understand contemporary Quebec.
- The museum is wheelchair-accessible.
- The museum features a gift shop, a café, and free Wi-Fi throughout.
- The roof terrace overlooks the city and the St. Lawrence River.
How to get there
The Musée de la Civilization is situated on Rue Dalhousie in Old Quebec (Vieux-Québec) near the St. Lawrence River. Réseau de transport de la Capitale (RTC) bus services 1 and 11 stop nearby, as do hop-on hop-off tour buses.
When to get there
The museum is busiest during summer, especially when cruise ships dock at the nearby port. To beat the crowds, try coming for opening or an hour or so before closing.
The Musée de la Civilization Building
Designed by renowned architect Moshe Safdie—the brains behind Montreal’s Habitat 67 —the Musée de la Civilization is one of the most celebrated modern constructions in Quebec City. Opened in 1988, the building incorporated two older structures: a 19th-century bank and the 18th-century Maison Estèbe. Its limestone cladding and belltower (reminiscent of the city’s many church spires) ensure it fits in seamlessly with its historic surrounds. The structure also incorporates dormers, skylights, and glass panes, which allow light to pour into the exhibition spaces.
- Kerk van Notre-Dame-des-Victoires (Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)
- Quebec Royal Square (Place-Royale)
- Oud Quebec (Vieux-Québec)
- Fortmuseum (Musée du Fort)
- Basiliek-kathedraal Notre-Dame de Québec
- Museum van Franstalig Amerika (Musée de l'Amérique Francophone)
- Quebec Lower Town (Basse-Ville)
- District Petit Champlain (Quartier Petit Champlain)
- Haven van Quebec (Port de Québec)
- Bovenstad (Haute-Ville)
- Quebec City Old Port (Vieux-Port)
- Dufferin Terrace (Terrasse Dufferin)
- Vestingwerken van Quebec National Historic Site
- Citadel van Quebec (Citadelle de Quebec)
- Plains of Abraham (Plaines d'Abraham)