Visitors can take a self-guided tour of the museum, exploring the various exhibits, stories, and artifacts on show. Displays document the French legacy in North America, covering everything from the early migration of Francophones to Acadia, the St. Lawrence Valley, and Louisiana, to Quebec’s thriving arts and crafts scene. Admission includes a guided tour of the Museum Chapel (Chapelle du Musée), a deconsecrated late 19th-century chapel designed by Joseph-Ferdinand Peach, the influential Quebecois architect behind Quebec City’s Saint-Jean-Baptiste Church.
Things to know before you go
- The Museum of French America is a must for history buffs.
- Children 11 years old and under go free.
- The museum is partially wheelchair-accessible.
- Backpacks, briefcases, and umbrellas must be left in the cloakroom.
How to get there
The Museum of French America is situated in the heart of Old Quebec (Vieux-Québec) beside the Basilique-Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec. Walking from Gare du Palais train station will take about 15 minutes. Réseau de transport de la Capitale (RTC) bus lines 3, 7, and 21 stop nearby.
When to get there
The museum is open daily from mid-June through early September, and on weekends only from early September to mid-June. Like most attractions in Quebec City, footfall is highest in summer when cruise ships are in port. It is rarely overcrowded, but get there early if you want to explore when it is quiet.
Basilique-Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec
Pair a visit to the museum with a trip to the Basilique-Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec, which is situated next door. This grand basilica is known for its lavish interior and crypt, which plays host to many famous Quebecois of centuries past, from former governors of New France to high-ranking clergy including archbishops and cardinals.
- Basiliek-kathedraal Notre-Dame de Québec
- Fortmuseum (Musée du Fort)
- Oud Quebec (Vieux-Québec)
- Quebec Royal Square (Place-Royale)
- Bovenstad (Haute-Ville)
- Kerk van Notre-Dame-des-Victoires (Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)
- Quebec Museum of Civilization (Musée de la Civilization)
- Quebec Lower Town (Basse-Ville)
- District Petit Champlain (Quartier Petit Champlain)
- Haven van Quebec (Port de Québec)
- Quebec City Old Port (Vieux-Port)
- Dufferin Terrace (Terrasse Dufferin)
- Vestingwerken van Quebec National Historic Site
- Citadel van Quebec (Citadelle de Quebec)
- Plains of Abraham (Plaines d'Abraham)