The house is just a block south of the intersection of Haight and Ashbury streets—the epicenter of the ‘60s hippie movement. It’s easy to pass by on a walking tour of the Haight district, or book a private city tour that you can customize to stop by during a day of sightseeing with provided transport.
Things to know before you go
- The house is a must-see for Deadheads and those interested in landmarks from the counterculture era.
- As a private residence, the house can only be viewed from the outside.
- There is plenty of free and metered street parking available but pay attention to posted signs about time limits and street cleaning.
How to get there
The house is located at 710 Ashbury Street. MUNI buses have stops along Haight Street, or take the N light rail to the Cole Street stop and walk a few blocks.
When to get there
To get the full effect of the bustle of the Haight-Ashbury, go in the late morning, when the shops typically open and lots of folks are out and about. If you’re not worried about getting a daytime photo of the house, evening in the Haight is also lively, with many dinner options and a popular bar scene.
Golden Gate Park
Three blocks west of Ashbury Street is the eastern edge of Golden Gate Park, San Francisco’s biggest park, which stretches nearly half the width of the city until it runs into Ocean Beach on the Pacific coast. The park is a great place to wander with lakes, bike and walking trails, lawns for picnicking, museums, a Japanese tea garden, the San Francisco Botanical Garden, and even a bison paddock.
- Bezienswaardigheden in Californië
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sausalito
- Bezienswaardigheden in Napa en Sonoma
- Bezienswaardigheden in Yosemite National Park
- Bezienswaardigheden in Paso Robles
- Bezienswaardigheden in San Luis Obispo
- Bezienswaardigheden in Pismo Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Santa Barbara
- Bezienswaardigheden in Santa Monica
- Bezienswaardigheden in Los Angeles
- Bezienswaardigheden in Long Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Anaheim en Buena Park
- Bezienswaardigheden in La Jolla
- Bezienswaardigheden in Nevada
- Bezienswaardigheden in Oregon