Created on the site of what was once a miniature golf course, the Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum is now home to more than 500 palms and cycads, representing more than 150 different species from around the world. Starting with just 60 palms representing 10 different species, the two-acre park has continuously expanded since its 1977 dedication. From massive specimens that are too big to fit in private yards to popular types that can be found along Florida’s beaches, the Palm Arboretum is an ever-changing, never-ending project that grows and expands organically. Take the time to stroll down the pathways, learning about the specimens, or simply perch on one of the conversation benches and enjoy the peace of the palms.
Located off the coast of St. Petersburg, Fort De Soto Park is not your average ‘park.’ It’s actually 1,136 acres made up of five interconnected islands (keys) and is the largest park in the Pinellas County park system. With seven miles of waterfront, including almost three miles of beautiful, white sand beaches, Fort De Soto is a popular destination for both visitors and guests to the St. Petersburg area.
There’s plenty to do in Fort De Soto Park. History buffs can explore the historic fort while cyclists and walkers can enjoy seven miles of paved trails that run through the park. For nature lovers, it’s worth noting that the park is the start of the Great Florida Birding Trail (328 species of birds have been documented over 60 years and new species are being added every year) and offers the one of the greatest diversities of bird, sea life, plant and wild life in Florida. The beach is also a nesting ground for the loggerhead sea turtle between April and September.
Bezienswaardigheden in de omgeving van Sint-Petersburg
- Bezienswaardigheden in Florida
- Bezienswaardigheden in Tampa
- Bezienswaardigheden in Clearwater
- Bezienswaardigheden in Sarasota
- Bezienswaardigheden in Crystal River
- Bezienswaardigheden in Fort Myers
- Bezienswaardigheden in Orlando
- Bezienswaardigheden in Napels
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cocoa Beach
- Bezienswaardigheden in Cape Canaveral
- Bezienswaardigheden in St Augustine
- Bezienswaardigheden in Fort Lauderdale
- Bezienswaardigheden in Everglades National Park
- Bezienswaardigheden in Grand Bahama
- Bezienswaardigheden in Georgia